I was able to go on vacation to Buffalo NY with my Mom and three Sisters the end of August. The first place we went to was The Hill Cumorah.
In A.D. 421 Moroni, the last survivor of a great civilization that had inhabited the Americans since about 600B.C.,buried in this hill a set of golden plates on which was recorded the history of his people. In 1827 Moroni returned to this hill as an angle and delivered the plated to Joseph Smith, who translated the golden plates from which came the Book Of Mormon. Written anciently by the spirit of prophecy and revelation, It testifies that Jeasus is the Christ and Redeemer of all mankind. He published them as the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. The Spirit here was so very strong. The day was so peaceful and beauitful and to think of Angel Moroni delivering the golden plates Joseph Smith right here on this hill that I was now standing on was amazing. I was so thankful that I was so belssed to beable to be at this historic site.
Then we went to the Book of Morman Publicaton Site. On June 11th 1829 Joseph Smith recieves a copyright for the Book of Mormon. In late June, Joseph completes the translation and negotiates with Grandin who owned the printing and publishing business for publication of 5,000 copies. The initial negotiations failed, but in August, Grandin agreed after Martin Harris offered to mortagage his farm to guarantee payment of the $3,000 contract. Oliver Cowdery begins to copy the original manuscript as directed by Joseph. The first 24 pages of this printers copy were delivered to Grandin for printing to begin. On January 30th Grandin stops printing due to threats of boycott form the Palmyra. Joseph and Martin assured him he would recieve full payment upon completion. The printing was resumed the next day. The printing of the 592 page book was completed in late February and binding begins immediately. The March 26th edition of the Wayne Sentinel advertises that the Book of Mormon is for sale and eleven days later the Church was organized. April 7th, Martin Harris sold his 151 acres of his farm to pay the agreed upon $3,000. In July the binding of the books was completed for all the remaining books, approximately two years after the project began. When I think of how much work went into the Book of Mormon from the time the Angel Moroni delivered the plates to Joseph Smith to the time they were published and all he went through for all of us I am amazed. I am so Thankful for this man and the truthfulness he has brought to me and my family. I am thankful for all the sacrifices he made so that I can have this wonderful book to help guide me through this life.
No comments:
Post a Comment